What is the Victoria Gran Fondo? When and where does it happen in 2013?
The Victoria Gran Fondo is a Canadian one-day cycling event that begins and ends in BC’s capitol city, Victoria. In 2013, the 270-kilometre route invites 85 experienced road and randonée riders to circle south Vancouver Island’s coastal back roads, old growth forests, fruit orchards, and small towns on Saturday, June 22.
About the Victoria Gran Fondo
Since 2010, the Victoria Gran Fondo has intentionally limited participation to just 85 riders to maintain a unique, upscale, and intimate atmosphere. According to race founders David Sudbury and Karl Ullrich (of Victoria’s Oak Bay Bicycles), “We want to make sure every rider has a one-of-a-kind experience that they’ll remember for years to come. The race has a very warm, community atmosphere–yet there are still lots of opportunities for the kind of strategic group riding that makes a long ride so much more fun.”
The $300 entry fee includes dinner at Victoria’s Fairmont Empress hotel the night before and hot breakfast the next day; gourmet, fully-catered hot meals; snack stops en route; and mechanical and sag support. You can also count on an unforgettable day of pedalling the paved back roads of Canada’s west coast with local riders and athletes including Sam Whittingham, Bruce Spicer, and Andreas Hestler.
Norco Bicycles supports the 2013 Victoria Gran Fondo as the official bicycle and technical support provider.
Route map of the 2013 Victoria Gran Fondo:
Victoria Gran Fondo quick facts:
- Date: Saturday, June 22, 2013
- Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
- Start time and place: 6:30am, Fairmont Empress hotel
- Distance: 268 kilometres
- Route: Victoria, Sooke, Port Renfrew, Lake Cowichan, Duncan, Langford, Victoria
- Meal stop locations: Port Renfrew, Lake Cowichan
- Elevation: 3500 metres
- Number of riders: 85 limit
- In support of: The Victoria Wheelers teenage competitive cycling travel fund
- Register now: contact David Sudbury at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entry fee: $300 CAD
- More information: victoriagranfondo.com and Facebook